Friday, September 23, 2011

A New Season Brings Simple Joys

I find a joy so simple and pure in what many would consider too hard of work for a busy family of six.  It serves the opposite purpose in my heart and that of each and every one of us here on this land.  Something about planting, canning, and simply letting the kids be kids seems so much closer to the way things are really supposed to be!  We have gotten a good start on this new fall season, so do let me share pictures of what we've accomplished around here!

This here is the beginning of a fall crop for us.  I look forward to greens, cabbage, onions, brussel sprouts, carrots, and some winter lettuce varieties!  I hope to have the shelves full of fall's bounty!

I caught a cow!  Well, three actually.  The intended target (big yellow Mama) use to be quite capable, and thoroughly enjoyed, bullying me into fear of her.  Yes, she is mean, but I hold the upper hand now because I'm just simply not terrified anymore.


I must pause to share with you the pictures of these little ones helping start the garden.  What is fun for them and enjoyable for us to watch, also serves as lessons on how to work their land and be good stewards of what the Lord has given us.  In preparing our home and pantry, we prepare them along side us with priceless skills.  Even if never a survival necessity in their lives, they do not lose, because I know they too will carry this knowledge into their own families one day.

A little dirt NEVER hurt!  At least sister thought so while covering Cass in such!

Strike a pose....and get to work while you're at it kids!!! ;)

WE HAVE CARROTS!  These last minute finds from summer gave us all a great laugh!  So tiny and actually proved to be HOT as I believe they must have cross pollinated with the radishes planted behind them!


And one of my favorite accomplishments of all!  We have more pears than I'll ever be able to put up this year.  But so far, I've canned these as accidental pear honey (meant to be preserves), pear butter (Uh-mazing), and pears in syrup!  I'm excited to see just how many jars I can get put up before the harvest ends!  In this picture is one of the most special birthday gifts I've ever received.....my Grandma's food mills and some utensils, some of which has been passed down for more than one generation!  LOVE THEM and making the pear butter was a snap!  Something about preparing fruit, canning the fresh tastes we've gathered, and looking at these beautiful jars, brings me a peace and satisfaction I can't put into words!  Prepared?  Getting there.  Content?  Absolutely!

NOTE:  For a wonderful pear butter recipe, go here!

Are you serious Mom?

Lazy family evenings follow the hard work around this house!  Readers raise readers, right?

Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise.  Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler, Provideth her mean in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest.  Proverbs 6:6-8

Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.  Proverbs 4:23

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, even if I can't reply to every comment! Keep it honest, classy, and appropriate please!