Monday, April 18, 2011

Monday Blessings


Before I get to the garden, I want to share two of my most favorite daily scenes around here.  Above is Grandma Gracie's old house.  Just down the road from us, I love the feeling I get every time it comes into view!  I wish I had a window into the past when this house was occupied and full of life.

 And this here!  Such a simple site but one I've grown to love.  Just an old trailer, a chicken house (I think)?  Correct me here if I'm wrong Tommy!  And then of course his old gold truck.

Quack quack!  Can you believe how they've grown just since I've posted their picture the other day?  I must say that this week I've both hoe'd our garden to rid it of grass and weeds, and watched these little things grow.  And I've came to the conclusion that instead of saying our children grow like weeds....we really ought to rephrase that to say they grow like baby chicks!  And just a note in their defense.....referring to an earlier post, it's been proven that these chicks DO NOT cry wolf!  The kids insisted we bury the little sexlink that didn't make it, so I guess I need to defend his honor also!  Little thing really was sick!

And now onto my garden!  Please know that I typed that last sentance with a sigh!  I'm in the house instead of in my wonderful garden only because I'm frusterated right now!  Something as simple as staking the tomatoes can at times become a chore bigger than myself!  Whatever God put into men that He left out of me catches up with me sometimes!  And of course, that's when I wish Tommy was here!  All I need to do today is tie up these tomato plants and now I have to wait on assistance because cutting the stakes down to size proved too much for me!  However, I will insist on getting an A+ for effort!  I went after the stubborn things by hand, with a hatchet, and with a saw!  Then common sense got the better of me and I decided to wait on my father in law, as what would have taken me all day will probably take him all of 5 minutes!  And that there is the difference in men and one woman around here! :)

Now onto the rest of the garden story.....how much I've enjoyed and loved the work out here this week!  Things are really starting to grow and flourish and I happen to be quite proud of these plants!  As of a couple days ago, everything is planted!!!!!  And almost everything that has been planted is on it's way up and out of the ground!  Just waiting on my eggplant, carrots (not sure on those for this time of year), and my  purple hull peas to make their appearance.  And, those were the last of the seeds that made it into the ground!

 These are my favorite and best tomato plants, and yes, those that caused my earlier temper tantrum!  They're growing strong and fast!  Just the last day or so I'm starting to see them flower!  Can't wait to get them tied up!
 The whole garden!  My next project has taken alot of forethought and needs yet even more study!  I'm about to get the soaker hoses up and running.....at least I hope so!  The verdict is still out on what will be the most effective way to water this garden!  Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  YES, that was a hint!!! 
Garden gate keepers!
I absolutely COULD NOT post today without including this picture!  So although it may be off subject....I wanted to leave y'all with a great big smile compliments of my baby Cass! 


If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  1John 1:9
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7
Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.                 2 Timothy 2:1
Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.  2 Timothy 2:3


4 comments:

  1. We use soaker hoses, but I don't feel like they really do a good enough job. I am PRAYING FOR LOTS OF RAIN this summer. :) I hand water when I can, but ... your garden is a lot bigger than mine. My husband always wants to sprinkle from above, but you just can't do that with tomatoes. I'll check back here and see if anyone else has any good ideas.

    Love your blog... your kiddos are adorable. :) I'm visiting from Homestead Revival, by the way!

    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a northern girl in GA, by the way. I sure do love it! Especially today, when I hear that MI and WI are getting more snow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm looking forward to following yours. It's fun to "meet" new people through the link-ups. I've found some new friends on Raising Homemakers, too. It's always encouraging to meet people who have things in common.

    Have a great afternoon!

    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My Gravy....loving the hair!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, even if I can't reply to every comment! Keep it honest, classy, and appropriate please!