Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The End Of Summer Is Drawing Near

As the end of summer draws near we've begun switching gears around here.  The long, hot, summer days leave time for reflection and a need for fall planning.  We've been able to spend a lot of great family time together this summer and I know that Tommy, myself, and these kids will treasure the memories for years to come.  There's also been challenges and heartache but I know that God is faithful to keep His promises.  Hard decisions, weak times in our lives, and tears seem to often pave the road towards new seasons and times in life.  And perhaps most importantly, they lead us to lean more on the One who has it all under control in the first place.

And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.  Galatians 6:9

And what about those times in which we fall short or even completely miss the mark?  I've learned that sometimes the better my intentions, the bigger my shortcomings.  Thank the Lord I have the love and grace of Jesus Christ for that one.  For I know....

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  1John 1:9

When the waves of exhaustion and discouragement roll in, I'm reminded of this....

Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.  Philippians 1:6

Our God is faithful.  He is just.  He keeps His promises.  Always.  I'm not saved because I'm better than the next person, or because I always do the right things.  I'm saved by the grace of a God that loves me enough to offer that gift.  I need Him because I'm NOT good enough on my own and I never will be.  And that's why Jesus died for me, and for you WHILE we were still sinners.  I know who I belong to.  Do you?  It's a free gift, but we have to make the decision to receive it.  And that is the only way any of us will ever be good enough.  And thank God for that, because on my own I'd only make a bigger mess of things! 

Gracie has been quick to remind me daily that "God is Faithful, He keeps His promises."  She'll ask me, "for two months?"  Then say, "Noooo....for eh-er".  His words have been planted in her heart and she's not shy about sharing them.  That was their VBS motto this year.  (Or FBI motto, as Aiden called VBS by FBI instead all summer!)  "GOD IS FAITHFUL, I CAN DIG IT".  And here's some pictures of VBS 2011!


Gracie, Cass, and the girls!  It's so fun to see how great all of these kids are together!

Aiden and some friends.  Is it just me or does he look all grown up?

At the program the kids put on for us!

My boys!  Cass thinks he's grown, just like the rest of them!

We were able to enjoy a day at the water park in Shreveport last week!  It wasn't busy during the week which made for very short lines and a relaxing day!  Except for the water slides that is!  Alaina and Tommy went down the fastest, scariest one more times than I can count!  And after an entire day of her begging, they took Gracie up to the tallest, curliest, most fun slide of all!  She ended up upside down and on her back by the end, swam out of the water by herself, and loved every minute of it!  She laughingly told us in the hotel that night, "I thought I was died."  No fear in that little one for sure!
Taken at the request of Ms. Alaina Jade herself!  After a fun day in the sun at Splash Kingdom.
 So, summer winds to an end around here and we're gearing up for the fall.  Aiden starts first grade in a week and a half and I think we're ready to go!  He's enjoying this week with his Papaw Coleman and our family in Texas!  It seems to serve as a final summer getaway for a little boy that works so hard in school!  I'm so grateful that he's able to receive a good Christian education.  In my heart, I know that's the most important of his subjects all together.  We're raising kids in a world today that pulls in every way possible to stand for things other than Christ and the truth of God's word.  Not in this home.  Our children will be taught and prepared with the truth and how to defend it.  And as summer comes to a close, I hope all four of these kids carry memories of our garden, our vacations, each other, and the many things that the Lord has blessed our family with! 

Aiden and Gracie enjoying our one tiny cantaloupe harvest for the year!  They loved it though!  It was so hot and dry this summer, we were glad to get even just one to enjoy!

A typically hilarious moment in our home!  Lazy summer nights have been another memory to hang onto!
The beginning of school and the close of this very eventful summer also brings me back around to a place I love to be!  I'll be spending tomorrow with some ladies that I love dearly at the Pregnancy Resource Center that's become such a part of my life and heart.  And when school starts, I'll be headed back there weekly as a counselor.  I never intended to have time off, but now I see that God had other lessons for me to learn this summer!   

From our 100 plus degree home to yours.....may you all have a wonderful day, cherish these last weeks of summer, and ask God to show you who you were created to be!
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, even if I can't reply to every comment! Keep it honest, classy, and appropriate please!